To assure we are good stewards of university resources, Student Affairs monitors a number of actions through a central position control review process. This need for central review is even more important to help save jobs in light of the financial impacts of COVID-19.
COVID-19 Hiring Freeze update: The SAPC process and review criteria has been revised per the campus hiring freeze effective April 1, 2020. Requests for exceptions to the hiring freeze that are approved by Student Affairs Position Control will be forwarded to the campus Finance Committee for final decision. Please see below for further information:
- Hiring Freeze Exceptions requests must comply with the following three criteria:
- Not filling the position would result in significant business disruption and/or a significant compliance risk;
- The role is mission critical and/or essential to business operations; and
- No qualified current staff is available to take on additional duties on an interim basis.
It is critical to answer all form questions completely and accurately. Incomplete submissions will be returned to the department to collect additional information, thus the review and decision on a request will be delayed. Please see the job aid linked here for information and examples to support a complete SAPC form submission.
Actions requiring SA position control approval:
- Hiring actions:
- Creation of New Positions
- Career Replacement Hires for Positions that are not on the Revised Exempt
- Category List below
- Contract Hires and contract extensions
- Waivers of Recruitment
- Salary actions:
- Salary increases outside the merit process (ex. equity, promotion)
Exempt from SA position control approval: *revised per 2020 hiring freeze*
- Increases Subject to or Mandated by Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Hiring for positions in the following categories:
- Student staff titles
- University Health Services staff in medical titles; non-medical titles require SAPC
- Custodial staff
- Skilled trades staff
- Positions to be filled pursuant to an “internal UC Berkeley only” recruitment, which must be approved by People & Culture in accordance with the standard process.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions on the process or to check the status of a request.
Please note: you will still need to submit a ServiceNow ticket to complete this action.